- One of my favorite gifts that Harry Potter received came from the Weasley Twins; and was “Mrs. Mooney’s Marauder’s Map”. This magical document showed every classroom, hallway and secret corner in all of Hogwarts. It also showed you the location- by name- of every person in Hogwarts. If you had such a magical map of your town, what would you use it for? If you would not use it, is there another person to whom you would gift it?
One of the things I really like about the Harry Potter books is these sorts of ideas that appeal so much to the imaginations of children. I would have had so much fun imagining myself exploring Hogwarts when I was a child. Sisters Beach is pretty small and it hardly needs a map of its own. Even Geeveston was not really large enough to require a map like that. However, I might have been glad of the ability to know where certain people were so I could dodge meeting them. I once hid in the lumberyard of the local hardware store when I heard the voices of a couple of people I didn’t really want to talk to nearby. If I had a map I’d keep it in case I ever needed one again.
- When was the last time you made a snowball? Were in a snowball fight?
That would probably have been the last time I saw a big snow near Geeveston. A friend took me for a drive and although I was mostly taking photos I probably did make a snowball just to see if it was firm enough. There was no snowball fight though.
- Many cultures set great value in each child of the family having godparents. Did you have godparents? Are you a godparent yourself?
I did have Godparents. I think they were one of my aunts, an uncle and an older cousin. It was more of a formality for the christening service than anything. I wouldn’t say we had a special relationship. I’m not a Godparent. I can’t recall even going to a christening since I became an adult. We’re not a religious family.
- You have found a secret tunnel under your house. Where does it go?
Another thing I’d have loved as a child. I feel I’ve become such a boring grown up as I can’t think of anywhere I need to go that would be better with a secret tunnel. If I lived in a large city I would love a secret tunnel as a short cut to take me somewhere interesting, maybe to a secret garden.
Muggle Questions (of a more philosophical bent this week):
Is intelligence or wisdom more useful?
I think both are useful. However, I wonder if you can gain wisdom if you don’t have the intelligence to learn from your mistakes and those of others? So I guess intelligence is the more useful.
- How important is play in living a healthy and fulfilling life?
Play is everything. If you can’t take the time to just enjoy things life would be very dull. I feel sorry for those people who have the means to play but think it is childish and unnecessary.
- Is happiness just chemicals flowing through your brain or something more?
That’s a bit like saying a rainbow is just the reflection of light. It may be true but it isn’t the whole story.
GRATITUDE SECTION (Always optional)
Naomi has been staying for a couple of weeks and we’ve had a great time going out for a pub lunch for her birthday and another just before she went home. We also did a bit more exploring of the area driving up into the inland areas south and west of our home. I wish I had more photos to share of the amazing views but it’s not easy to stop on these narrow winding roads to take photos so I had to be content to admire the views from the car.