Last week Naomi sent me an article she’d found online called 10 Fun Things To Do While You Are Stuck At Home, or some similar title.
We both agreed that while there was some worthwhile suggestions there about half of them were not what we would call fun. It’s a great idea to catch up with your laundry, mend broken things around the house or declutter your wardrobe but is it fun? Well not to us.
Naomi is currently still required at work but I am spending my days at home. Even the volunteering I planned to do has been cancelled for the foreseeable future.
I don’t want to make a definitive list but here are some of the things that Naomi and I plan to do for the next few months.
- Take photos – At present it is still fine to go for a walk. Sisters Beach is almost deserted most of the time so I can take photos around the neighbourhood or if restrictions tighten I will photograph the garden, pets, dolls and whatever else I can think of around the house.
- Write blog posts – We will both be writing posts for our doll and bear blogs as well as for this one and we have some other ideas as well.
- Study online – There are lots of online courses which are inexpensive and sometimes even free. It will be a good time to learn something new and useful. I plan to do one to improve my writing skills and another on photography.
- Play with our pets – Cindy thinks it’s wonderful that I am home just about all the time. She loves to go for a walk to the beach or around the neighbourhood. Polly never makes a big fuss but I know she prefers it when I’m home too.
- Bake – Naomi has a collection of vintage cookbooks and plans to try out some of the recipes from them. I’m looking forward to seeing how that comes out. Provided that I can get flour and eggs I will probably do more baking myself. If we can’t go out for afternoon tea at a cafe we will make our own.
- Catalogue my doll collection – This is something I’ve meant to do for a while and as I have to unpack most of the dolls it seems a good opportunity. I call it fun because I will set them all up to photograph.
- Watch the birds – We have an active bird population here and I always enjoy sitting outside listening to the birds and if I’m lucky getting some photos. I may buy a feeder.
- Read -I have been stocking up my Kindle with books, you can get a lot for free or for under $2. I like to read the Kindle in bed but I also have many “real” books that I can read or reread as well.
- Watch TV- Naomi’s YouTube channel is full of concerts of our favourite bands and old black & white movies. I have a lot of doll stuff, railway stuff and historical footage. Netflix and Amazon Prime have some older programs I’m happy to watch over and over again and the occasional new one that is worth seeing. I watch catch up TV, rarely live and we both have plenty of DVD’s.
- Games – On my own I play a games on the computer, Solitaire, Mah Jong, hidden object games and puzzles. I also play The Sims and Sim City because they have worlds I can control. When Naomi is here we have a cupboard full of board games. Our favourites are probably Scrabble and Scattergories but we have Monopoly and lots of vintage games that are fun to play, even the kids ones like “Pillowfight” and “Lost in Space”. We also have a shelf full of jigsaw puzzles.
- Crafty hobbies – Time to get started on knitting or sewing some dolls clothes, making a teddy bear, cross stitch or scrapbooking while Naomi gets into painting, drawing, and other crafty hobbies.
- Sleep – Plenty of time for those “Nanna Naps” even if we’re not nannas.