As I grow older I find myself critical of many more things than I used to. I’ve never been a great fan of change unless it is a change that I have chosen to make myself but now there are so many things that I don’t like that people would probably say I’m a grumpy old lady. Well I don’t really care. I think one of the advantages of getting older is that I don’t feel that I have to apologise for my beliefs all the time but I try not to be rude so I often find myself biting my tongue when I want to say something.
So what am I critical of? Here are just a few items on my rant list.
- Governments and businesses who put profits ahead of people and punish you just for being poor.
- Most modern architecture, and I am not shy about sharing my dislike of ugly buildings with anyone.
- Greedy developers demolishing lovely old homes and building multi storey apartments or filling our waterfront spaces with ugly buildings where there used to be public spaces.
- Films that are all action and no plot. Especially remakes that don’t get the point of the original film. eg “The Italian Job” .
- Bad remakes of TV shows I used to like.
- TV reality shows. You know I hate them, that’s not a secret.
- So called fitness shows where the participants are made to do ridiculous things like hauling planes and are humiliated in front of others. See above.
- Pop music made after about 1995, but that is probably a generational thing. Mum didn’t like our generation’s music either.
- People who can’t speak a sentence without a four letter word in it. I’m not saying I never swear but it’s so much more common now and it is ugly.
- Barbie dolls that are all coloured plastic and no proper clothing. Barbie is a fashion doll! She’s supposed to have clothes.
- Making Doctor Who a woman. We already know that Time Lords can be women why does The Doctor have to be one?
- The idea of making James Bond a woman. I never liked the franchise anyway as I don’t like the character but I don’t want to see a female version of him. That’s just silly and Fleming would be spinning in his grave.
- People who let their children run around and pull things of shelves in shops and then don’t tidy up after them.
- Restaurants that serve you a gigantic plate with practically no food on it. I like food to look attractive but I want to eat it not exhibit it.
- People who ignore their companions in favour of their phones. A phone won’t cry over you when you are dead people.
I could go on but I won’t. There are lots of terrible things happening in the world that I am angry about and critical of the people who let them happen or make them happen. These are some of life’s lesser annoyances compared to those.